Connect your systems in new and remarkable ways
CLP Holdings, one of the largest investor-owned power companies in the Asia Pacific Region. They have a SaaS product, Smart Sensor Automation, which is a smart school Solution that improves school operations and environmental impacts, while providing practical STEM programmes. I lead a team of 2 designers to work on that product.
One day, the management asked: "Can it use at smart office or building?"
I do think it is a very common question that stakeholder or management may ask, can a single product use at different segment?
Align the goal and the vision
Invited all stakeholders from the team to have a workshop to define who is our customer and what do we want to offer
Understanding the needs
External User Interview
To understand the real problems from our users, we talk to office manager, teacher from school and building facility manager by the following questions:
1) What does your typical day look like?
2) What are your main challenges? Why? Explain more
3) How do you solve those problems?What kind of platform/system do you use?
4) What products /apps/services do you use on a regular basis?
5) Imagine there’s a platform to save your time. How would it look like?
6) Card Sorting, Prioritise the features
-Extract and summarise data by affinity mapping
- Find patterns
- Create actionable insights
Findings from the research and workshop
What management want
All-rounded customizable platform
fully control and monitor the facility proactively.
Easy to plan, report, and maintenance
What office & building want
A fully integrated platform
have many platforms already
No time to read the data
want instant alerts
What school want
A platform for learning and teaching
Do not care about energy consumption
long term energy solution which connect with student daily life
Easy school managment
We believed that using a fully integrated custom alert app
For office manager and building operation team
Will improve their operation efficiency
Making sure we had the right solution
Test with the existing user and see what they
think about the new concept
We found one user are intersted in the concept and would like to trial with us.
1. Design is a turely learning process. You need to observe and listen before you make any decision.
2. Designer need to balance between the user needs and the business value of a product.